Sunday, September 23, 2007

on cyber friends

A bizarre topic at first glance ... but hear me out. I am a regular visitor to at least three online forums, common denominator: digital scrapbooking. Now even if it was just that, it would have been really cool, 'cause you get to talk to other people about the craft and share ideas and upload your lay-outs to the gallery and they all make really nice comments about it. All of this resulting in a general "feel-good" mood, this as you can imagine, is a most fortunate turn of events.

There are so much more though ... The chit-chat that happens is quite astounding! I'm sure none of us has a life beyond the internet and we do spend stupendous amounts behind our computer screens. Either online or in Photoshop or both, seeing that we're mostly girls, usually both as we can multi-task. You learn abbreviations like: LOL, which means Laugh out Loud, kwim which is know what I mean, ROTFL, which is roll on the floor laughing - a particular favourite of mine as I always picture the person saying it, actually on the floor, rolling around and doing some hysterical laugh, LOL!!!

But more than that, it's quite possible to build friendships that are as meaningful as "real-live" ones. You can't really pop over for a glass of wine or a braai, but as soon as something happens in their lives, we know about it. The greatest thing to me is how, as woman, we manage to convey a genuine sense of community and belonging, even online.

So here's to you, all my online friends ... may the laughter never stop. LOL!!! ROTFL!!!!


6 comments:

katg1006 said...

Maz - I so agree! I love ya!! So glad you are one of my friends!!

Brooke - in Oregon said...

Just so ya know, I read all of this with a smile on my face! :) Love your sense of humor and your little guy is just about as smoochable as they come! Those cheeks are to cute!

Scraps of Bev said...

Oh Mazzie you are a gem and you write such beautiful, funny things for us to read, laugh, and shed the odd tear or two over...as Kat has already said I'm so glad you're one of my friends!!

Alpha & Omega said...

Hello M,
This is so great!
I've not known a blogger as yet...
You are (and always will be) my first! ;-) Bea

alleycat said...

Hi Maz .... lekker ! It's just awesome that you have a blog now ... I'm looking forward to a good dose of humor every now and then ;O)

Fuzzy said...

Ag mazzie man it's about time you started a blog lol see you got us all updated and LOl alreddy

eish you def had me smiling all the way thru

glad to have formed our lil online friendship.And yip even tho we all a gizzilion miles away we all do care about each other in our own lil way ne :-)