Sunday, January 6, 2008

we still do it ...

Get up at stupid-O'clock that is, and drive to parts unknown. This time we went to Fujeirah and more specifically Snoopy Island. We were going to go just for the day and at about 15:00 decided to see if they have rooms available, turns out they did, so we stayed over.

And herewith the whole story in pictures:

a map to show where we went:

uae_map

Sunrise at stupid-O'clock:

IMG_2605

Carpet shops on the side of the road, just before entering Fujeirah.

IMG_2612

and here's Moi, a rare shot of me behind the camera Smile

IMG_4747

The nursery on the other side of the road:

IMG_2613

And just to prove that Kaydin really does wake up with a smile:

IMG_4750

Just before the resort you'll find Bidiya mosque. It's the UAE’s oldest place of worship and is known as the “Ottoman Mosque”. It is unique in design with four small domes held up by a massive central pillar. We drove past too quickly though and I didn't really get a nice shot and on our way back we were way too tired to stop. Will do next time though.

IMG_2635

And now for the fun part, at the beach, off course we had to get the boy into the sea as fast as possible. He was totally adorable, not scared at all and seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. The only concern Kaydin had was that daddy just wouldn't let him crawl right into the sea! Dad's, such spoil sports sometimes, LOL!! Open-mouthedIMG_2658

IMG_2667

IMG_2677

IMG_2697

IMG_2731

This would be Snoopy Island, yes it's something to do with the cartoon character and the rock looking like Snoopy lying on his back Smile

IMG_4778

A totally lovely day with the other people snorkelling and generally just having a merry good time, especially when we found out that we could in fact have a drink or two on the beach, which off course also greatly influenced the decision on staying over LOL!!

The view from our room's balcony and in the second picture a rare shot of some locals also enjoying the beach.

IMG_2829

IMG_2832

And because I'm such a curios person and because I didn't want to miss out on anything, I decided to try my hand at this snorkel-thing too. And because we all looked so cute in our wet suites, I asked for a family portrait, Gideon Schoeman obliged, thanks dude! Open-mouthed

IMG_4901 

And that was it, now I'm hooked and Gids will in the very near future have to take me shopping, for gear off course. What an experience!! It felt like I was watching a National Geographic show, only I was IN it, totally awesomely brilliant experience! And with Gids & Chantel's help, I think I did ok for a rookie. A truly awesome moment was when I wanted to get slightly panicky, 'cause I didn't know where we were going, I reached out to Gideon's side and there he was, ready with a guiding hand, holding on to me, until I was ready to let go. It helps to do these things with someone you share a brain cell with LOL!!

And just to show, the village helping to raise Kaydin, Gideon & Chantel Schoeman our housemates and very dear friends:

IMG_2759

3 comments:

Scraps of Bev said...

Maz if you were to write a book it would be a constant companion of mine as I just so love reading your 'stories'!

As I read this I travelled on the journey with you and it was so good to have the photo's as we went along. I'll have to do a little research on Google to find out about the 'Ottoman Mosque'! Snoopy Island what a wonderful name and what fun the rest of the day was for you.

Glad you took the opportunity to try snorkeling it's something both DH and I have always said we would do but never got round to it - yet!!

Mel @ Studio MCA Designs said...

Incredible. I love the last two photos of Kaydin sitting by the rolling waves. Very interesting trip, and so different from the part of the world that I inhabit. Thanks for taking me there.

Anonymous said...

Awesome pics, Maz! It's always hilarious reading about your goings on :lol: Kaydin is soooooo oulik in his swimsuit!